- RECIPE: Coffee Crusted Venison Steaks + Cowboy Coffee Rub
RECIPE: Coffee Crusted Venison Steaks + Cowboy Coffee Rub
Coffee Crusted Venison Steaks
Wild game chef, Jeremiah Doughty of From Field to Plate, shared his Cowboy Coffee Rub recipe with us and also detailed how to make Coffee Crusted Venison Steak.
4 Venison Steaks
1/2 cup Cowboy Coffee Rub*
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Tbsp Butter
4 cloves garlic, smashed
4 sprigs rosemary
- Preheat the oven or pellet grill to 450 degrees.
- Season each steak in Cowboy coffee rub (see attached recipe) both sides.
- In a large cast iron skillet over high heat add oil and butter, once butter is melted and frothy add steaks, garlic and rosemary. Cook steaks on each side for 2-3 minutes. This high heat cooking will give you that crust you're looking for.
- Remove from stove top, place garlic and rosemary on steaks, place in the oven or pellet grill until desired doneness. 10 minutes for Med-rare or internal temp of 125-135.
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 10 minutes and slice to serve.
Cowboy Coffee Rub
2 Tsp ground Coriander
1 tsp mustard, dry
1/2 Tbsp Cracked Pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar, Dark
1/2 Tbsp garlic, dried
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/2 cup Chili Powder
1/4 cup smoked paprika
2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 cup ground coffee
1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
For more wild game recipes join GoWild, a community of hunters, anglers and other outdoor enthusiasts that share recipes for venison brats, bear burgers, deer jerky, wild pheasant recipes and more.