Recipe: Gameburger Helper
Recipe by From Field to Plate
Gameburger Helper -It’s as quick and easy as the boxed stuff, but tastes way better!
As a kid I remember running down the boxed food aisle at the grocery store and begging my mom for a box of Hamburger helper. There was something about helping mom brown the meat, opening the box and dumping everything in a pot for my meal. But, as an adult I look at the ingredients that go into those boxed dinners and its crazy to think we used to eat those.
Im not going to lie, I still crave this boxed meal on cold nights when I want and easy tasty meal. So here is my copycat version of that boxed meal. The best part is you can use this same recipe even if you don’t have any game meat like venison, elk or moose. Just use domestic meats and eat better than box. Feel better, by knowing what goes into your dinner.
• 1 pound ground game meat (venison, elk, moose)
• 1 small onion finely chopped
• 2 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon dried parsley
• 2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 3 cloves, crushed
• pinch to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder (if wanted heat)
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 2 cups Venison broth (or beef broth)
• 2 cups uncooked macaroni
• 1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. In large skillet or dutch oven heat oil over med-high heat. Add onion and brown, add garlic and cook additional two minutes.
2. Add ground game meat and brown, add paprika, parsley, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Still until blended
3. Stir in milk, broth, pasta and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-low and cook 10-12 minutes until pasta is cooked, stirring often so not to burn.
4. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
5. Serve and enjoy.
(This can be used as a base recipe, add any vegetable, spice or seasoning your family enjoys.)
VIDEO: How to Remove Venison Shanks
VIDEO: How to Remove the Hidden Tenderloin from a Deer Leg
RECIPE: Braised Venison Shanks
RECIPE: Coffee Crusted Venison Steaks + Cowboy Coffee Rub
RECIPE: Smoked Venison Chili
RECIPE: Seared Venison Steaks in a Cilantro, Lime, Jalapeno Sauce
RECIPE: Spicy Teriyaki & Sriracha Glazed Venison Meatballs
RECIPE: Black Bear Burger with Blueberry BBQ Sauce
For more wild game recipes join GoWild, a community of hunters, anglers and other outdoor enthusiasts that share recipes for venison brats, bear burgers, deer jerky, wild pheasant recipes and more.