Author: John Hunter, Chief Strategy Officer
I may be known as a bass fisherman, but my true passion lies in the woods. When fall rolls around and the cooler temperatures arrive, how can one not get the itch? I have spent all year chasing fish all around the country, and now its time to relax and chase the most magnificent species on earth—the whitetail.
Whitetail hunting can be a game of cat and mouse, as those big mature deer have grown accustomed to deer hunters and all their vulnerabilities. Which is why preparedness is so important when it comes to hunting. On our farm back home, Big Kahuna Farms, we hunt a vast piece of property in the hills of Eastern Kentucky totaling nearly 5,000 acres. Showing up to camp unprepared can make for a very unpleasant or even dangerous experience. This has led us to making a checklist for ourselves and all of our friends, family and guests who join us.
John's gear list has helped him put some big bucks down.
As old school and lame as it may sound, the checklist has been a savior to myself numerous times. I want to share this particular checklist we have been using that has led to numerous quality harvests at Big Kahuna Farms. Regardless of where you hunt I think this list could be a very important step to take before you venture into the woods this fall.
The Hunt Checklist
- Rifle – My Choice – Ruger American .270
- Bow – Matthews Heli-M
- Release – TrueFire Edge Buckle Foldback
- Ammo – My Choice - .270 Winchester Ammunition
- Toiletries – My Choice – Dude Wipes
- Flashlight – My Choice – 511 Tactical XBT A2 Flashlight
- Cap Light – My Choice - LightGUIDE LED Hat Light (For dim light entry)
- Camera (Still and/or video) – My Choice - GoPro Hero 5 & Iphone 7s
- Deer Call – My Choice – Primos Buck Roar & Knight & Hale Rack Mag
- Cover Scent/Blocker- My Choice – Scent Killer Gold
- Knife – My Choice – Gerber 06 Fast Knife
- Rain Gear – My Choice- Under Armour UA Storm Barrier
- Hand or Foot Warmers – My Choice - HotHands
- Gloves – My Choice - Under Armour Infrared Speed Freek Gloves
- Base Layers – My Choice – Under Armour Ridge Reaper Base
- Camo- My choice - Under Armour Mens Scent Control
- Boots– My Choice – UA Brow Tine 800
- Orange Vest (required) – Under Armour Mens Blaze Vest
- Orange hat (required) – UA Hunting Safety Orange Skull Cap
- Back Pack or Fanny Pack – Badlands 2200 Hunting Pack
- Hunting License for proper state
- Deer Tag
About the author: John Hunter is GoWild's Chief Strategy Officer and a Bassmaster Elite Series Pro. You can see more from John on the GoWild app, as well as his Instagram.